Crushed foot at work

#1 2014-12-05 17:35:45
Keir jones

Crushed foot at work

hello there, i was instructed to stack fully loaded skips in the yard at work and whilst climbing ontop of the bottom skip to release the chains from the top skip the top skips crushed inside the bottom skip taking my foot with it, resulting in a badly crushed foot breaking it in four place.
Two yers on and i still feel the affects and after a recent scan, my big and second toe bones are not the shape they should be.

How much compensation am i likely to receive and how long should a claim take when liability is already admitted by my employers..?

#2 2014-12-08 15:36:00
admin

Administrator

2007-11-20

Hi Keir, sorry to hear about the problems with your foot. For the injuries you have described, a compensation payout of between ¬?10,000 and ¬?15,000 sounds reasonable. On top of this you should receive compensation for any expenses you have incurred (such as a loss of earnings, future loss of earnings, medical expenses, travel expenses, etc.)

If you'd like more information you can fill in the orange form at the top and hear back from a legal adviser.

#3 2014-12-08 17:36:28
Keir jones

Thankyou for your reply, i submitted a claim in may and liabilty has already been accepted, i have also had my foot further examined, so medical records have been submitted, how long should this claim take to settle?

#4 2014-12-17 21:42:01
Keir jones

my claim was submitted in may, and liability has been accepted by my employer, how long should this claim be likely to take to settle?

#5 2015-01-05 15:20:03
admin

Administrator

2007-11-20

Keir, if you are having ongoing problems with your foot, it might take a bit longer to settle the case to allow you to get the right compensation payout that covers the full extent of your injuries. Or have you already agreed on a compensation amount?

#6 2015-01-08 20:58:31
Keir

i have not yet agreed any compensation amounts nor have i had any offers yet, my last medical assessment was over two months ago, and my solicitors tell me they are still waiting on the results from premex medical, i feel like they are dragging their feet with it as i started the claim in May

#7 2015-01-12 18:56:37
admin

Administrator

2007-11-20

It's probably a case of finding out the full extent of your injuries before determining a compensation amount.

#8 2015-02-01 09:48:28
Keir

Ive had letter saying all medical reports have now been sent to the other side and for the opposition to pay for my physio, what is likely to happen now, do you think they will offer to pay or will they probably mKe me an offer?

#9 2015-11-20 14:34:50
Cinthia

Dr Saunders,I am the mum of Daniel James and am becoming inrceasingly annoyed at your untrue,unimformed,insulting and insensitive statements.You as every human, has a right to your own beliefs and religion,to your opinions,what you do not have ANY right to do is to state that our son lacked the support he needed or reassurance of the value of his life.Neither was he abandonded and left to his negative thoughts and depressive feelings!!!!Dr Saunders our son was in hospital for eight months,during that time we visited him every day,he had home cooked food every day,he had outside physio therapy,congulative therapy,cranio sacral therapy,he had cuddles and was told every day how very much he was loved,he knew how much he was loved.In our family the words I love you have always been spoken with ease and will continue to be.When Dan came out of hospital and returned to his home we didnt rely on full time carers although we could have done,Mark and I cared for Dan for the majority of the time,not because we had to but because he was our son and we wanted to.We prepared his dinner,got him into bed,placed his pillows,got his drinks ready,unwrapped his sweets, put his DVD ready and turned on the monitor so should he need us in the night we were there.As parents who loved their son absolutely and unconditionally we did everything we could to try and make Dans life the best it could be and would have happily done so for the rest of our lives!Ultimately Dr Saunders it wasnt Mark or I living our sons life,it wasnt you or a member of your family it was Dan.If we as his parents who knew him inside and out,who knew what his life was and what it had become to him,if we could respect his decision that would break our hearts  and forever leave us without the son we  love so,so much,where in your arrogance do you feel you can pass judgement on Dan or ouselves.You call yourself a Christian,I am just me, my priority in life has only ever  been to be a good mum to our children,to teach them to be kind,polite and think of others,to be their own person and to be happy doing whatever makes them happy.I have not courted media attention,the sound of my own voice or trying to force my own views on others I have been true to Dan and to myself and if you are a parent I can only hope that if your child left this world before you that you would want to be by their side whatever the circumstances.But then perhaps as the good christian you are you would rather they be on their own as it doesnt fit your beliefs.Who do you think is more Chritian Dr Saunders? I hope never to hear you pass comment on my son again!!!!And please dont consider yourself more of a christian than myself,my husband our dughters and all of our family and friends that have been there for,loved,encouraged and willed Dan to change his mind.Dan did not want to be an able bodied martyr,a disabled martyr he just wanted to be happy being Dan!I dont ask that you forgive my anger,as you dont deserve that,but that in future you consider your choice of words far more carefully..

#10 2015-11-20 14:52:48
Candie

I believe it is made abdanuntly clear that the article is opinion and also would like to point out that although I dwell on the negatives (with the caevet given that this is personal political opinion) I do point out that I am sure that there will be pros and cons to such an approach to services I do then only go on to list the cons as I percieve them and this is probably grossly unfair of me but again it is under the auspices of my self proclaimed  ideological unease  and is acknowledged as such throughout. I would hope that there is room on this site for people to express opinions under the heading  opinion  and that this is not taken as misleading or mistakenly taken to infer some ideological authority based on notions of evidence and the like.Although perhaps this is difficult on a site where the majority of postings are evidence based, referenced and held to a higher standard of rigour than opinion pieces. I would like to invite someone to make the case for privitisation of public services   either as a comment piece criticising this or as a look at the economic evidence supporting or debunking it and believe that such a discourse could enrich the site.Perhaps this simply should not have gone under the heading of  evidence based policy ? (Although when you start a column with a title like that if nothing happens that's interesting in gubmint policy terms you are a bit stumped to be entirely honest).Is there perhaps an issue with publishing such pieces on the site?Do people feel they devalue the overall quality or risk alienating certain sections of the readership who hold political beliefs that may be at odds with those held by the authors?I will start a thread on the forum regarding this and the future of opinion pieces on the site for discussion.Ultimatly I can write what I want but there isn't any point if everyone stops reading because it's just become about me ranting and raving.

#11 2015-11-21 11:09:07
Mandie

My legal understanding is, I'll admit, not pefecrt. I hope that a legal blogger will write something on this at some point. Confirming the extent or otherwise of the potential impact.I think there may be scope for some degree of FOI being applicable to some contractors already.The BBC provides this document here for contractors and suppliers which states: When FOIA comes into force, the BBC is likely to disclose on request the following types ofinformation:‚?? the nature of the goods, service or project which is the subject of the contract includingappropriate parts of any Invitation to Tender‚?? the BBC‚??s overall contract spend on particular goods, services or projects‚?? the performance standards in a particular contract‚?? completion or administration of a particular contract and furthermore:The exemptions that are most likely to apply to contractual information are:‚?? Trade secrets ‚?? we will not disclose information relating to trade secrets. (s.43(1))‚?? Commercial interests ‚?? we will not disclose information if it would prejudice the commercialinterests of any person.  For example, the unit prices of goods, or information that couldidentify profit margins is likely to be withheld under this exemption. (s.43(2))‚?? Personal privacy ‚?? we will not disclose information if disclosure would breach the DataProtection Act. (s 40)‚?? Data Protection ‚?? We will not disclose information that has been given to us in confidence ifdoing so would constitute an actionable breach of confidence (s. 41(1))